Cold air as an asthma trigger



 


 I am officially tired of winter, and especially since this is an abnormally cold spell for us.

One of my asthma triggers is cold temperatures, not just the cold weather, but anything cold. Ice cream, smoothies, etc. However, I am NOT giving up my beloved Baskin Robbins chocolate peanut butter ice cream.

Lately, I have been having a hard time in the mornings, when the temperature is hovering around 10 degrees. I can get about five steps outside my car, and instantly can feel my lungs tighten up and I start coughing. 

Usually, I wear a scarf and can breathe through that. I forgot one yesterday, so here's a fun tip. It looks a little strange on adults, but the kids love it.

Call it what you will, but you cup one or both hands over your nose and mouth and breath in like Darth Vader. It's just enough to warm up the air before you breath it, which helps stop the coughing and asthma overreaction of my lungs.

If you're in a pinch, it works great to allow you to get from your car to the building you are traveling to. Kids can even do it out on the playground if they're having a hard time.

We have several more months of cold weather, but it should be warming up to above freezing this week! Heat wave! Better grab the sunscreen.....

Seriously, just another fun tip if cold temperatures happen to be a trigger for you. 

Happy breathing!

Comments