Tip #8 Shower before bed




It sounds really simple, but if you have allergies, it helps to shower before bed. Asthma Doc told me this one day, and I don't know why it seemed like such an amazing idea. You would think I could have figured it out by myself. It hadn't dawned on me though.


If you are out and about during the day, you accumulate a lot of pollen on your clothing, hair, face, etc. You may wash your face every night before bed, and change into pajamas, but that still leaves pollen in your hair.

When you go to bed at night with pollen in your hair, you roll back and forth on the pillow all night long, spreading it all over and breathing it in. It can cause coughing and wheezing, watering eyes, stuffy noses and the usual miserable things associated with allergies and asthma.

I was reminded of this last night when I went to bed. I had gone on a bike ride with Kitty and Hubby, and it was still very chilly but at least the sun was shining.


I started coughing a little while after our bike ride, then continued to do so ALL night long. I didn't sleep well because of it. So why is it I make sure the kids shower every night before bed, but I don't bother to do it for myself? Kind of like how moms take care of everyone else except for themselves.....


I was even talking to a friend about it last week. She has a daughter with asthma who coughs all night long. I suggested her daughter shower before bed, to see if it makes a difference.

I just talked to her today and she said it has dramatically decreased her daughter's coughing. I know it works for all 3 of my kids too.


So, now that things are blooming and pollen is flowing freely, think about showering before bed. It may help reduce your suffering and help you sleep better at night.


Happy dreams!


Comments

  1. Alorah showers every night. We are shampoo-free (because of the chemicals) so I use baking soda water mixed to clean her hair and then I use apple cider vinegar (1 tbs with 1 cup water) and I leave it in. The baking soda gets rid of all the pollen and crud (it has to be rinsed out really, really well!) and then acv leaves her hair silky soft. We only use Dr. Bronner's magic soap in lavender for body wash. It really helps to get the crud out every day, I worry about the chemical exposure of washing with traditional shampoo every day though. Since making the switch I have noticed that her skin is doing better. I will eventually get around to posting my whole routine and how I came to the shampoo-free choice. I am slowly cutting out chemicals in as many ways as possible. Esp. since I read that some of them deposit in the lungs...and stay there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always something, isn't it? Glad you're being so careful with her, hope things are going better

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment