Are you using your inhaler correctly?










 

 
 I was listening to a webinar about inhaler technique. The pharmacist had statistics from several studies that show anywhere from 50-90% of patients, doctors, and even pharmacists don't know how to use an inhaler properly. 
 
I hate to admit it, but I think I was one of them!

The presenter listed several common mistakes, the one I make is that I don't breathe in slightly BEFORE I depress the inhaler. The propellant comes out at 50 miles per hour, so if you don't start breathing in, the medicine can go to the back of your throat. 
 
Many people use a spacer with their inhaler if they are having problems with eye/hand coordination. I am one of those and am going to start using a spacer so I don't get confused about when to inhale.

The other mistake many people make is to breathe in quickly - since the medicine comes out quickly. You actually need to breath in SLOWLY, usually 3 to 5 seconds. This will draw the medicine down deep into the lungs.

The pharmacist said both of these go against your normal instinct, so you need to "fight your instinct" when you use your inhaler. 
 
He showed other useful things, such as different types of inhalers, spacers, and even peak flow meters. 
 
National Jewish Hospital has a page with different videos of how to use different types of inhalers. The videos are a little old, but they still show how to use the inhalers the right way. 

The webinar is no longer available, but the best thing to do is to watch a video and make sure you are using your inhaler the right way. Otherwise, you are wasting your money if you are not inhaling all of the dose of medicine. 

 
And I know how expensive inhalers are! I want to get all of the medicine I can out of my inhaler!

Comments

  1. I agree, it's a really informative webinar and Dr. Young does a great job explaining proper inhaler technique. Great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just goes to show that you can always learn something new when it comes to asthma!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment