Daughter and friend save mom's life after severe asthma attack

(www.cbs58.c0m)




Wow! What a story! A woman in Wisconsin, Kandace Seyferth, had a severe asthma attack, and when she collapsed, her daughter Maddie Kestell (age 10) and her daughter's friend Katlyn Vreeke (age 12) calmly started CPR and saved her life. How did two young girls know how to do CPR? From watching Grey's Anatomy! To see the video of the story, click here.


The paramedics were shocked when they arrived at the house and saw the two young girls performing CPR on the mom. (Most adults can't do CPR) The girls thought nothing of it, since they said they had seen it numerous times on Grey's Anatomy.


The girls performed CPR for four minutes until the paramedics came, saving the mom's life. Since the body can't go without oxygen for longer than four to six minutes, she most likely would have had brain damage IF she managed to survive the asthma attack in the first place.

I don't think my kids could do CPR if I collapsed. In fact, I'm not sure I could do CPR if they collapsed. I am certified in First Aid and CPR, but could I stay calm and use what I know? I can give a nebulizer breathing treatment with one arm tied behind my back, I've done it so many times. But CPR?

Either I need to start watching Grey's Anatomy, or I need to sign up for a refresher course for CPR.

Could you do CPR if you needed to? Are you trained? Or have you seen it enough times on TV that you feel like you could do it if you need to?

Kandace Seyferth is one of the lucky ones, 11 people will die every day in the US from an asthma attack. Think about getting trained in CPR so you would know what to do it you had to save a life from asthma or any other medical problem. You never know when you might need it. I'm sure Kandace's daughter thought the same thing. It will never happen to me.








Comments

  1. Just a great story indeed. Really inspired work been done by the daughter and her friend. The girls would have been aware with precautions for Asthmatic. Early precaution may help the Asthmatic during Asthma attack.
    mole removal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it would have been nice if the mom had recognized the symptoms and used her inhaler sooner or called an ambulance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment