Staying healthy with asthma


I will be the first one to admit it, I am a germiphobe. See my pop up canister of Wet Ones? That stays in my car at all times. That's the first thing I do when I get in the car after being in a store, work or any other building. I wipe down my hands and the steering wheel.

Who knows what people have on their hands? And they are all using the same door handles or hand rails that I am. Ever been in a public restroom and see people leave WITHOUT washing their hands? The thought makes me shudder. That's also why I use a paper towel to open the door when I leave a restroom.

I push elevator buttons with my knuckle instead of my finger.

If I have to use a handrail, I'll use my scarf under my hand, or make a fist and use the side of my hand.

I was wiping down the handle on grocery carts WAY before those pop up canisters were available. I used to carry small, individually wrapped alcohol wipes and wipe the cart handle down. Son #1 was a preemie, so I had to keep us healthy. I should have designed the pop up canisters that they keep by the grocery carts, I could have made millions!

We're not over reacting to protect ourselves when we have asthma, we are being smart. Just remember, a cold to a "normal" person often goes into bronchitis or pneumonia for those of us with asthma. And pneumonia for my kids means a 3 day stay in the pediatric ward of the hospital. (we've done that 12 times so far.....)

So, use Wet Ones, Purell, or whatever works for you. But wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. And did I say wash your hands? And don't touch your face. You would be suprised how many times a day you absentmindedly touch your nose, eyes or mouth. And that's just what the germs are waiting for. Hello inside of a nice warm body! That's exactly what germs love.

So far so good, I haven't been sick since last Fall's pneumonia.

Let me know if anyone else has something that works to keep them healthy. We need all the help and protection we can get.

Comments