No allergy shots on the same day as a checkup?

 

 


 

Insurance Companies.......aaarrgghhhhhh

Yesterday, I took daughter Kitty to Asthma Doc for her annual checkup. Her Singulair prescription had expired, so I realized it must have been a year already since her last check up. 

Of course, we're in the office every week for allergy shots, so I didn't realize it had been so long since an "official" visit.

I had to take time off work, check her out of school, and drive to their office in another city. After her check up, I thought that as long as I was there, I might as well have her do her weekly allergy shots. But, nooooooooo. Insurance Company won't pay for a doctor's visit and an allergy shots on the same day. 

Can someone explain to me why they won't?!

This means that now I have to take time off work again today, pick her up from school again, and drive to Asthma Doc's office in another city. AGAIN!!!! 

This makes no sense to me. Why do I have to come back on another day? Take more time off work? Check her out of school again? Just because they decide they won't pay for a check up and allergy shots one the same day?! And insurance companies wonder why their clients get frustrated? If they can give me a good explanation for this rule, I would like to know what it is.

Like many moms, I work full time, so trying to get Kitty to the office once a week for allergy shots is no easy task. Either I have to take time off work, or Hubby has to take time off work to drive her there. And for all of you that are doing allergy shots for yourself or your kids, you know that the whole series of shots can take between 3 and 5 years. So these weekly visits get REALLY old. So having to drive there twice in a week is annoying.

 My car practically drives itself to Asthma Doctor's office these days.

I think insurance companies are a love/hate relationship. This rule of "no allergy shots the same day as a check up" is ridiculous. However, I do appreciate the fact that they will cover Xolair injections for Son #2. 

I have heard of a large insurance company in my area who won't cover Xolair injections. And for those of you who get the monthly injections for your asthma, know that the price is over $1000 per shot. So I am happy they are covering that.

So, what do you do when your insurance company is causing you stress? Grumble. Write about it on your blog. And grumble some more.







Comments