World Asthma Awareness Month





(Global Initiative for Asthma)

Did you know May 1st was World Asthma Awareness Day? Some places are promoting asthma awareness month. To find out about the Global Initiative for Asthma, click here.

Here are a few little statistics for you from the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America:
Every day in America:

  • 44,000 people will have an asthma attack (that was me last night)
  • 36,000 kids will miss school due to asthma (my #2 son is one of those today....)
  • 27,000 adults miss work due to asthma (either I'm sick or I have to stay home because the kids are)
  • 4,700 people visit the emergency room due to asthma (I've done that too many times to count)
  • 1,200 people will be admitted to the hospital for asthma (done that 12 times with the kids)
  • 9 people die every day from asthma (my goal is to NEVER experience this)
Here's a few other tidbits for you:
  • Asthma is the most common chronic disease among children
  • Asthma is the #1 cause of missed school days (13 million days missed nationwide)
  • 25 million people have asthma in the U.S.
If you are one of those who has asthma or you have a child with asthma, you are in good company! Look at how many other people have asthma.

Hopefully this blog will help you learn from my many experiences of dealing with asthma with my kids over the last 12 years.

Have fun reading it!
 

Comments