How long do you have to have allergy shots?








 
For those of you that have allergies, it can be a real pain. My college-aged son and teenage son and daughter are allergic to everything. Literally. Grass, trees, flowers, bushes, animals, dust and mold. You name it, they're allergic to it.

There comes a time when no matter how much medicine you take, you are still miserable. My kids would take Singulair and Zyrtec and still be miserable all the time. They would sneeze, their eyes would itch and water, and they would start wheezing. 
 
Asthma Doc told them to shower every night before bed (to wash all the pollen off their skin and hair.) That didn't help either. Daughter Kitty would sneeze all night long and wake us up. Then she would get a bloody nose. Fun times!

So all three of our kids have had to have allergy shots (immunotherapy) 
It's a long process, it usually takes 3 to 5 years. And it takes A LOT of time. You have to go to the doctor's office twice a week. Have one shot in each arm, then wait 20 minutes so you don't have anaphylaxis, then you can leave. After a while, you can go once a week. It's a pain to have to find a time every week to take kids to allergy shots. My two sons have already completed their 5 year's worth of allergy shots. Daughter Kitty is on year 4. I just read an article in the Winter edition of Coping with Allergies and Asthma Magazine.   

The article quoted a study from the Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. They are quoted as saying 
"Our research shows that three years is adequate duration for the treatment of childhood asthma associated with dust mites. An additional two years adds no clinical benefit." 
I wonder if that holds true for other allergens too? My kids are allergic to so many things. In fact, Son #2 may have to repeat the allergy shots because he is still having problems. For us, it's better to have the kids complete the 5 years worth of allergy shots. If you aren't allergic to that many things, maybe you only have to do it for 3 years. Check with your doctor and see what he says.
 
It's an exciting idea, but it never seems to be that easy for my kids. See what your doctor says, maybe you'll be lucky enough to shave off 2 years of the series of allergy shots.

Good luck!
 




Comments

  1. Hi there! I recently ran into your site and I love all the information you share with your viewers! I was wondering if you wanted to use one of my more recent posts as a guest post on your website, to help share my story with asthma and allergies. (I am typing this while sitting in my hospital bed for the third night in a row!) Let me know, I love your site!

    http://apinksunset.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela! Sounds like this isn't the Christmas you had planned. There's nothing worse than being in the hospital on a holiday! :(

      I love your blog, I can link to it the next time I blog. I haven't had anyone guest blog because I seem to have plenty of information to include from my experiences (how sad is that!)

      I can highlight your blog on my next post :)

      Take care of yourself! And if you have to be there for Christmas, it's better to be there and still be alive, right?!

      Delete
  2. For the treatment of Asthma there are many medications are available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am John Smith. My son, 7 years old, was suffering from chronic allergy since many years. I consulted many doctors but in vain. Recently, one of my friend gave me a reference of this society specially dedicated to the patients suffering from asthma and allergy, Columbus Asthma Society. I consulted their main doctor Dr. Summit Shah and now my son is recovering rapidly owing to their allergy shots. I would strongly recommend you guys to check Columbus Asthma Society and get the best treatment for all asthma related problems.

    Reference: ColumbusAsthma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you found what works for you.

      Everyone with allergies and asthma is different and finding that perfect medication and treatment plan requires trial and error.

      So happy you have found something that works for you! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment