Ideas to avoid getting sick





 Yes, I am a germa-phobe. I've already been REALLY sick twice this fall. And colds and coughs are always worse when you have asthma.

My daughter, Kitty, is always careful about washing her hands. In fact, she washes them so much the skin is chapped. But she is still getting sick. She's had the stomach flu one week, sore throat the next, and last night had a blazing fever in the middle of her brother's Christmas band concert. So, we ducked out early.

So, what's the solution to staying healthy? Here are some ideas from Webmd website. 


  • Washing your hands frequently, using soap, for at least 15 seconds
  • Avoiding close contact with people who are sick
  • Cleaning the headsets of your telephones, and washing doorknobs, railings, and other frequently handled objects to keep them free of germs
  • Keeping your hands away from your eyes, nose, and mouth
  • Covering your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze
 I like their ideas, especially about "keeping your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth." If I have to scratch my nose or my eyes, I put my thumb inside my jacket or scarf and pull the fabric up to my nose and scratch it (that way my fingers don't touch my face). It looks a little strange, but at least I'm trying not to touch my face.

I also use my knuckle to press elevator keys. And I use a paper towel to open the bathroom door, or I use the bottom part of my jacket or coat.

A little much? Maybe. But it's better than being stuck in bed for 4 or 5 days while I have bronchitis. 

Webmd has other advice too, to read more, click here.

So, do what your mother told you growing up. Wash your hands (especially before eating) and don't touch your face! Maybe you can get through the holidays without getting sick!

Comments