Winter allergies....they're not just a seasonal thing for our family









Some of you are lucky and may only have allergies in the spring or summer, when everything is blooming. Hubby and I and all three teenagers have allergies year round. Sigh.

What do winter allergies look like? This is from WebMD's website,  "Winter Allergies":

Allergy symptoms caused by dust, pollen, or mold include:
  • Coughing
  • Dark circles under the eyes
  • Itchy eyes and nose
  • Runny nose
  • Sneezing
  • Watery eyes
 The difference between allergies and a cold can be how long it lasts. For a cold, you usually suffer for a week or so (and go through LOTS of boxes of tissues!) For allergies, the symptoms can last for weeks or even months! Sometimes with a cold or flu, you may also get a fever and/or achy body.
 
WebMD recommends a few tips to reduce allergens in your home in winter:
 
  • Wash bedding in hot water every week. (my teenagers should be reading this.....) It also helps to use allergy covers on the pillow and mattress  
  • If you have any carpet, shower curtains or wall paper that have mold, throw them out!!! WebMD suggest cleaning showers and sinks with detergent and 5% bleach. The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has a webpage about mold and recommends NOT using bleach, but using a detergent and water to clean. (Sometimes people think that if a LITTLE bit of bleach works well, a LOT of bleach will work EVEN BETTER!!!!)  You can have too much of a good thing....it could even trigger an asthma attack
  • Use a HEPA filter to clean the air 
  • If you live in an area with high humidity, use a de-humidifier to lower the moisture level
  • Keep furry pets out of bedrooms (yes, I know it's hard when they look at you with those big brown eyes that seem to say "Your bed looks REALLY soft....wish I could lay on it)

I hope this helps. When you have allergies year round, you have to know what bothers you, and how to take care of it. I spend A LOT of time cleaning. But I know that if I don't, I wake up with puffy eyes, sneezing, and a stuffy nose. And that leads to a cranky start to my day.

And what's the old saying? If mom is happy, the WHOLE family is happy.....
 

Comments

  1. Here is another tool to help your child better understand asthma/allergies...
    As a mother and grandmother, I know helping a young child understand allergic asthma is daunting. Thirty-five years ago, I wrote a story for my young son to help him grasp what was happening to his body during an attack and why listening to the doctor was so important. That story is now a book, The Terrible, Awful, Horrible AH-CHOOS! It is available for under $10 on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and from the publisher, Tate. There is also is a Spanish version. It is my hope that this book is one your youngster will better understand how to cope with this condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I feel you as I have perennial allergic rhinitis too. The picture of this poor boy reminds me of how I look when I get an allergic flare.

    I have a blog to share my experience and what helped my condition and I hope you find something useful there for you and your family.

    Cheers!
    http://www.sneezyblues.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shan,

      Sounds like you are in the same boat! Thanks for sharing the information about your blog! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment