Asthma and strong emotions









Did you know that laughing, crying, angry outbursts, etc can all cause asthma attacks? 

American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI) list several other causes (or triggers) of asthma attacks. ACAAI divides them in categories:


Allergens
  • Pollen (from grass, trees or weeds)
  • Cockroaches
  • Dust mites
  • Animals (their dander)

Irritants 
  • Strong odors (perfumes, scented candles, etc)
  • Smoke
  • Chemical fumes (cleaning sprays, etc)
Other causes:
  • Illnesses (that pesky cold!)
  • Extreme weather (cold to hot, or dry to humid)
  • Exercise 
  • Strong emotions 

Have you ever had an asthma attack from a strong emotions? I have! I had a case of the giggles and could NOT stop laughing. I laughed so hard I had an asthma attack.

I also had a very sad situation that had me doing the "ugly cry". That also caused an asthma attack.

Unfortunately, when you have asthma, your body over reacts to things that "normal" people experience. With asthma, our lungs go crazy and cause an asthma attack.  (Seriously? Laughing or crying!? THAT causes an asthma attack too??) I really hate asthma.....

I was at the airport this week and waiting to board my flight when I saw something really sad.

  I saw a female passenger on the phone behind the gate agent's desk, sobbing. She couldn't stop crying.  The female airline employee hugged the woman as she cried and then led her to another area. 

I wasn't sure what was happening, but couldn't imagine someone crying that hard because of air travel (missed a flight, etc.) 

As I was boarding the plane, another passenger said that he over heard the phone call and that the woman's mother had died. The passenger had just talked to her mother before her flight, and the mother was supposed to pick her up at the airport. 

She was in a state of shock, as were the rest of us getting on our flight. 

It reminded me of when my mom died years ago, I can still remembered what I went through. And this passenger was having it all play out in a VERY public place. 

I thought it about during the flight home and decided I wanted to blog about it. 

Now that you know that strong emotions can cause asthma attacks, let's talk about moms. If your mom is still around, call her today or give her a hug!

We think our moms will always be there. But they won't.

Hug your mom or call her today while you still can.


Comments