Your kids can play Pokemon Go from their hospital bed!


This falls under the category of "What a Great Idea!" and "Thank You From Tired Parents in the Hospital!"

If you haven't heard of Pokemon Go, you must be living under a rock somewhere. Seriously.

 This game has taken the world by storm! Millions of people are using their smart phones to capture Pokemon in real world locations. If you have seen a large crows gathered around at places that don't usually have crowds (the library, police station, etc) and they are all glued to their phones, chances are that they are catching Pokemon.

So, what happens when you are a kid and you are stuck in the hospital? You have someone play Pokemon Go for you!

A group of college students  from BYU (Brigham Young University) created "Go For Good"

(By the way, I am a BYU alumni and I think those students are brilliant!) 

So, what is Go For Good, and how does it work?

 1. Volunteer "trainers" connect with kids via video-conferencing software

2. The software lets kids see what's going on in the outside world

3. The kids tell the trainers where the Pokemon are, and the trainers catch 'em all  (and the child can see it happen in real time)



Fox 13 TV station had a story about a local child in the hospital, who is having volunteer trainers catch Pokemon for him. And here is another story from KSL

What a smart idea! 

Those of you who usually read my blog know that my kids were hospitalized 12 times (2 ICU) when they were younger  - thanks to asthma and pneumonia (and smoke from a forest fire.)

When Son #1 was 7, he was visited in the hospital by the costume character Pikachu. I can still remember that day! (and Son #2 is in college now.....)  Pikcachu gave Son #2 a Pokemon shirt which he wore for YEARS - until it was faded and worn out. I can't tell you how much it means to parents and children stuck in hospitals to have SOMETHING to do while they are in there.

So, now kids can still have fun with Pokemon, but you can have a brother, aunt, dad, etc "be the legs" and "catch 'em all" while your child is in the hospital.

Have fun! And I would love to hear stories if you and your hospitalized child uses this.

With all the attacks, bombing, etc on the news, it's so nice to hear a GOOD story filled with love!



Comments

  1. I did not download pokemon go because it is too distracting. I have played all the games on the gameboy and ds though. I have been in manhattan on an internship. The subways are filtly!!! I have started carrying lysol wipes with me and wear a facemask while riding them. I may look ridiculous but I am in close contact with others and don't need to get sick!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you - so many people are addicted to the Pokemon Go game. I have heard of people walking out into traffic, walking off a cliff, etc. Come on people!

      Good luck with your internship! Yes, the subways are disgusting. I carry wipes in my purse all the time. I use the Handiwipes travel packs. I also have a canister in my car, so after I leave a store, I always clean my hands.

      I'm not taking any chances either!

      Delete
  2. http://www.theestablishment.co/2016/06/01/your-rants-against-big-pharma-are-probably-ableist/

    I came accross this article on an aspergers support group on facebook. This article pertains to mental health meds but I also see it in CF meds. I can't tell you how many times people have blamed my health problems on all the medications I am on.

    The autism community is plagued with quackery. On groups aimed at parents of autistic kids I see more of this. Granted theseparents often have more severely autistic kids and get desperate. But when an autistic adult mentions they are on antidepressants/ADHD meds, these parents jump in to reccomend their "natural" treatment. I know they mean well, but I know what is best for me and what works for them may not work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean! I have well meaning family that suggested we try natural treatment for my kid's asthma. The one time we tried it, our son ended up in ICU!

      Traditional asthma meds are what work for me and my kids. I can FEEL a difference the Albuterol working.

      Tere are probably some natural treatments that may help people relax (like lavender.) I can understand that.

      But I am NOT treating my asthma with natural products!

      Way too dangerous for us.

      Delete
  3. Hi Andrea. This is awesome! I am a student at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh and my team and I are currently working on a project with Philips to develop a service that supports transition of children from parental management to self-management in their asthma care. I came across your blog while conducting research and the content has been immensely helpful. I feel you are an inspiration and I'm certain you could offer us some valuable insights for our project. Please let me know if you would be willing to share your email id.
    Thank you in advance.

    Best,
    Nehal

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment