Seeing Doctors In a New Light






I just attended a national allergy and asthma conference for doctors. As a Certified Asthma Educator (AE-C), I was hoping to learn as much as I could about new research, treatment plans. I want to make sure I am up to date when I help families understand more about asthma.

Since I work in Public Health, I felt like an outsider there. But it was interesting to see things from the doctor's point of view. 

Did you know that (gasp!) they aren't perfect?! (Seriously.....who IS perfect? No one!)

Did you know that they lose sleep worrying about patients? They worry:
  • Is there a different diagnosis? 
  • Did they miss something on a medical test? 
  • Is their patient going to be okay? 
  • Could they have done more?
The list of what they worry about can go on and on.

Not only are they doctors, but they are also parents and have their own families to worry about.

The EMR (electronic medical record) that they are required to use takes a LOT of time. It's supposed to be more accurate, but apparently many of the doctors hate it.

The presenter said that many times doctors go home after work and have "pajama time" - meaning they spend another hour or two finishing up online paperwork.

Not only do they worry, they also can suffer from depression - just like many of us do. It sounds like they are under a lot of pressure. 

This is the first time I have seen this side of their profession. 

What can we do to let doctors know that we love and appreciate them?

I send a Christmas card each year with a hand written thank you about how they specifically have helped me or one of my family members.

When I was more organized, I also would take them something from a local bakery along with the card.

I'm going to make sure my doctors get a nice card this year! And maybe I won't wait until Christmas - I think I'll do next week before Thanksgiving to show that I am thankful for them. 

Many times, we are not at our best when we are at the doctor for ourselves or with a child that is having problems with their asthma. (It's always hard watching a child struggle to breathe.)

So, I like to send something afterwards to thank them for keeping me calm and taking care of my kids.

What are you thankful for?

If it's your doctor - let them know!  





Comments