New medication for kids with uncontrolled asthma


These are a few of our "empties"......no, not THOSE kind of empties! 

No beer bottles here!

These are some of the controller inhalers/discs we have used over the years. Controller medication is what you take EVERY day for your asthma to keep the swelling down in your lungs. It's important that you take it every day - whether you feel sick or not.

There are four in my family with asthma (myself and my 3 kiddos - 2 of whom are now grown.) All of us have different struggles with trying to control our asthma over the years.

So, we have tried almost every asthma medication that is on the market. In fact, when we saw a TV commercial for an asthma medicine, I asked daughter Kitty, "Hey - you had that one once, didn't you?" She didn't even look up from her homework, but said dryly "Yep, if they make it, I've tried it."

I always like to keep my eye open for anything new, so I follow the Allergy & Asthma Network Facebook page. Last week, they posted an article from Medscape that said "FDA Ok's Symbicort for Uncontrolled Asthma in Kids 6 to 12."

Symbicort (the bright red inhaler above with the grey cap) has been around for a while, but was only used for those 12 and older. A new study has shown that it can safely be used in kids 6-12.

I love my Asthma Doc because he is willing to try different medications, different doses, etc to find one that we feel controls our asthma. 

How do you know if your asthma is in control? GSK has an Asthma Control TestTM for those 12 and older. This is the Asthma Control Test for 4-11 year olds.

If your child's asthma is not in control, talk to your doc to see if they want your child to change a dose/try a new inhaler.

Life is short! Let's keep those lungs working!

Comments

  1. TEVA got approved by the FDA for new controller meds that are equivalent to advair and flovent respectively. I mentioned it 2 posts back. While I'm glad there will be cheaper alternatives since TEVAis a generic company, I'm afraid my insurance will only cover these in lieu of my dulera. I can't do dry powder inhalers as they are less effective for me. I wish drug prices in the US weren't so darn expensive

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment