New QVAR!

http://hcp.qvar.com/

What's new with QVAR? If you are using QVAR now, you know that it's just like other inhalers, it uses a propellant to mix with the medicine and makes a nice little spray for you to inhale.

With the new QVAR, it's "breathe actuated". What does that mean?

If you have ever taken Advair, Breo, Anora Ellipta or Utibron Neohaler, you know that you usually click the inhaler device to the side, which will load a dose of the powdered medicine, and then you have to inhale it. 

With the QVAR RediHaler, it's the same idea - except that it's shaped to LOOK like a regular inhaler (which could be confusing for a lot of people).

 I haven't seen one in person yet, but it looks like it works like the ProAir RespiClick. With that rescue inhaler, you will remove the cap - which will click and load the dose, and then you inhale it. It doesn't have a propellant, so you will have to work a little harder to inhale the medicine. 

(For me, that's the hard part of the ProAir RespiClick. If I am having an asthma attack,  I CAN'T inhale very well, so I have a hard time using the ProAir RespiClick and will have to use my nebulizer instead.) But some people like it - so find what YOU like!

The QVAR RediHaler is a controller inhaler, which means you will take it every day. So, you should be able to take it every morning (or every morning and every night) - depending on what your doctor prescribes and easily inhale the medicine.

The reason they are starting to make the "breathe actuated" inhalers is to try to help people use their inhalers the right way. I STILL use a spacer with my inhaler. I'm not very coordinated (I can't walk and chew gum at the same time....) so I use a spacer to make sure I'm getting all of the medicine into my lungs.

Want to see if you are using your inhaler the right way? Watch this video, "Using Your Inhaler with a Spacer or Holding Chamber Device." 

So if you are one of those people who doesn't like to use a spacer with your inhaler, the new QVAR RediHaler might be an option for you. I don't really care what inhaler people use, as long as they USE it every day! (That's why they call them controller inhalers - because they control the swelling in your lungs. But you have to take it EVERY day!)

Asthma medicines are always changing, so thought I would share anything new with my readers. Be sure to talk to your doctor about any medicine you want to change!



 

Comments